Below, EFA lab members are in bold, and student authors are starred. This page is updated annually; see this Google Scholar page for an updated list.
Works Submitted or In Preparation
Works Submitted or In Preparation
- Janine M. Antalffy*, Michael G. Rowley*, Scott B. Johnson, Shelley Cant-Woodside, Ethan H. Freid,
Kevin E. Omland, and Matthew E. Fagan (submitted). Comparing global and local maps of the Caribbean pine forests of Andros, home of the critically endangered Bahama Oriole. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment.
- Fagan, M.E., D.H. Kim, W. Settle, L. Ferry, J. Drew, H. Carlson, J. Slaughter, J. Schaferbien, A. Tyukavina, N.L Harris, E. Goldman, and E. Ordway (submitted). The expansion of tree plantations across tropical biomes. Nature Sustainability.
- Fagan, M.E. (2020). A lesson unlearned? Underestimating tree cover in drylands biases global restoration maps. Global Change Biology, 26(9), 4679-4690. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/gcb.15187.
- Alves de Almeida, Danilo Roberti, Almeyda Zambrano, Angelica Maria, Broadbent, E. N., Wendt, A. L., Foster, P., Wilkinson, B. E., Salk, C., Papa, Daniel de Almeida, Stark, S. C., Valbuena, R., Gorgens, E. B., Silva, C. A., Santin Brancalion, Pedro Henrique, Fagan, M.E., Meli, P., and R. Chazdon. (2020). Detecting successional changes in tropical forest structure using GatorEye drone-borne lidar. BIOTROPICA, 52(6), 1155-1167.
- Cunningham, D., Cunningham, P.*, and M.E. Fagan. (2020). Evaluating Forest Cover and Fragmentation in Costa Rica with a Corrected Global Tree Cover Map. REMOTE SENSING, 12(19).
- Zahawi, R. A., Reid, J. L., and M.E. Fagan. (2020). Potential impacts of COVID-19 on tropical forest recovery. BIOTROPICA, 52(5), 803-807.
- Gergel, S, B. Powell, F. Baudron, S. Wood, J. Rhemtulla, G. Kennedy, L.A. Rasmussen, A. Ickowitz, M. Fagan, E.A.H. Smithwick, J. Raneri, S. Wood, J. Groot, and T. Sunderland (2020). Conceptual linkages between landscape diversity and diet diversity: a roadmap for transdisciplinary research. Bioscience 70(7), 563-575.
- Fagan, M.E., J.L. Reid, M.B. Holland, J.G. Drew*, and R. Zahawi (2020). How feasible are global forest restoration commitments? Conservation Letters: e12700.
- Reid, J.L., M.E. Fagan, J. Lucas, J. Slaughter*, and R. Zahawi (2019). The ephemerality of secondary forests in southern Costa Rica. Conservation Letters.
- Cunningham, D., P. Cunningham*, and M.E. Fagan (2019). Identifying biases in global tree cover products: a case study in Costa Rica. Forests 10(10), 853; doi:10.3390/f10100853.
- Gopalakrishnan, R., J.S. Kauffman, M.E. Fagan, J.W. Coulston, V.A. Thomas, R.H. Wynne, T.R. Fox, and V.F. Quirino (2019). Creating Landscape-Scale Site Index Maps for the Southeastern US is Possible with Airborne LiDAR and Landsat Imagery. Forests 10 (3), 234.
- Rasmussen, L.V., M.E Fagan, A. Ickowitz, S.L.R. Wood, G. Kennedy, B. Powell, F. Baudron, , S. Gergel, S. Jung, E.A.H. Smithwick, T. Sunderland, S. Wood, and J.M. Rhemtulla, (2019). Forest pattern, not just amount, influences dietary quality in five African countries. Global Food Security.
- Fagan, M.E., and N.B. Schwartz (2018). Social and ecological tradeoffs in tropical reforestation. Lessons in Conservation.
- Reid, J.L., M.E. Fagan, and R. Zahawi (2018). Positive site selection bias in meta-analyses comparing natural regeneration to active forest. Scientific Reports.
- Fagan, M.E., D.C. Morton, B.D. Cook, J.G. Masek, F. Zhao, H.E. Andersen, R.F. Nelson, and C. Huang (2018). Mapping pine plantations in the southeastern U.S. using spectral, structural, and temporal remote sensing data. Remote Sensing of Environment.
- Keeley, A.T.K., P. Beier, B.W. Keeley, and M.E. Fagan. (2017). Habitat suitability is a poor proxy for landscape connectivity during dispersal and mating movements. Landscape and Urban Planning 161: 90-102.
- Cove, M.V., C.M. Fernandez, M.V. Alvarez, S. Bird, D.W. Jones, and M.E. Fagan, Toucans descend to the forest floor to consume the eggs of ground-nesting birds. Food Webs 10 (March 2017): 2-4.
- Williamson, Jessie L.*, and M.E. Fagan. (2017) Predator playback, foraging height, and phylogeny affect gap crossing behavior in tropical forest birds. Ornitología Neotropical 28: 163-174, Jul. ISSN 1075-4377.
- Reid, J.L, S.J. Wilson, G.S. Bloomfield, M.E. Cattau, M.E. Fagan, K.D. Holl, and R.A. Zahawi. (2017). How Long Do Restored Ecosystems Persist? Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 102(2).
- Fagan, M. E., R. S. Defries, S. E. Sesnie, J. P. Arroyo, and R. L. Chazdon. 2016. Targeted reforestation could reverse declines in connectivity for understory birds in a tropical habitat corridor. Ecol. Appl. 26: 1456–1474.
- Cisneros L.M., Fagan M.E., Willig M.R. (2016) Environmental and spatial drivers of taxonomic, functional, and phylogenetic characteristics of bat communities in human-modified landscapes. PeerJ 4:e2551 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.2551
- Nowakowski, A.J., DeWoody, J.A., Fagan, M.E., Willoughby, J.R. and Donnelly, M.A. (2015), Mechanistic insights into landscape genetic structure of two tropical amphibians using field-derived resistance surfaces. Molecular Ecology, 24: 580–595. doi: 10.1111/mec.13052
- Cisneros, L.M., Fagan, M.E., Willig, M.R. (2015), Season-specific and guild-specific effects of anthropogenic landscape modification on metacommunity structure of tropical bats. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84: 373–385. doi: 10.1111/1365-2656.12299
- Shaver, I., A. Chain-Guadarrama, K. Cleary, A. Sanfiorenzo, R.J. Santiago-García, B. Finegan, L. Hormel, N. Sibelet, L.A. Vierling, N. Bosque-Pérez, F. DeClerck, M.E. Fagan, and L. Waits, (2015). Coupled social, economic and ecological outcomes of agricultural intensification in Costa Rica and the future of biodiversity conservation in tropical agricultural regions. Global Environmental Change, 32: 74-86.
- Fagan, M.E., R.S. DeFries, S.E. Sesnie, J.P. Arroyo, C. Soto, A. Singh, P. Townsend, and R.L. Chazdon (2015). Mapping Species Composition of Forests and Tree Plantations in Northeastern Costa Rica with an Integration of Hyperspectral and Multitemporal Landsat Imagery. Remote Sensing 7(5), 5660-5696.
- Meyfroidt, P., K.M. Carlson, M.E. Fagan, V.H. Gutiérrez-Vélez, M.M. Macedo, L.M. Curran, R.S. DeFries, G.A. Dyer, H.K. Gibbs, E.F. Lambin, D.C. Morton, V. Robiglio. 2014. Multiple pathways of expansion of commodity crops in tropical forest landscapes. Environmental Research Letters 9(7): 074012.
- Cisneros, L.M.., Fagan, M.E., Willig, M.R. (2014), Effects of human-modified landscapes on taxonomic, functional and phylogenetic dimensions of bat biodiversity. Diversity and Distributions. doi: 10.1111/ddi.12277
- Fagan, M.E., R.S. DeFries, S.E. Sesnie, J.P. Arroyo, W. Walker, C. Soto, R.L. Chazdon, and A. Sanchun. 2013. Land cover dynamics following a deforestation ban in northern Costa Rica. Environmental Research Letters 8(3): 034017.
- Yackulic, C.B.*, M. Fagan*, M. Jain*, A. Jina, Y. Lim, M. Marlier, R. Muscarella, P. Adame, R. DeFries, and M. Uriarte. 2011. Biophysical and socioeconomic factors associated with forest transitions at multiple spatial and temporal scales. Ecology and Society 16(3): 15. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-04275-160315 *Shared first authorship
- Fagan, M. E., and D. R. Peart. 2004. Impact of the invasive shrub glossy buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula L.) on juvenile recruitment by canopy trees. Forest Ecology and Management 194: 95-107.