Works Submitted or In Preparation
- M.E. Fagan, Kim, D-H., H. Carlson, J. Schaferbien, and J. Slaughter (in preparation). Tracking the global spread of tropical tree crops using a fusion of radar and spectral data. Nature.
- Reid, J.L., M.E. Fagan, J. Lucas, and R. Zahawi (in review). The ephemerality of regenerating forests in southern Costa Rica. Conservation Letters.
- Fagan, M.E., and N.B. Schwartz (in review). Social and ecological tradeoffs in tropical reforestation. Lessons in Conservation.
- Cleary K.A., I. Shaver, A. Chain-Guadarrama, A. Sanfiorenzo, R.J. Santiago-Garcia, M.E. Fagan, J.C. Zamora, B. Finegan, N. Bosque-Pérez, L. Hormel, L.A. Vierling, L.P. Waits. (in review). Visualizing the uncertain future of tropical agricultural regions: participatory scenario modeling to understand linked social and ecological impacts of agricultural intensification. Landscape Ecology.
- Reid, J.L., M.E. Fagan, and R. Zahawi (2018). Positive site selection bias in meta-analyses comparing natural regeneration to active forest. Scientific Reports.
- Fagan, M.E., D.C. Morton, B.D. Cook, J.G. Masek, F. Zhao, H.E. Andersen, R.F. Nelson, and C. Huang (accepted). Mapping pine plantations in the southeastern U.S. using spectral, structural, and temporal remote sensing data. Remote Sensing of Environment.
- Keeley, A.T.K., P. Beier, B.W. Keeley, and M.E. Fagan. (2017). Habitat suitability is a poor proxy for landscape connectivity during dispersal and mating movements. Landscape and Urban Planning 161: 90-102.
- Cove, M.V., C.M. Fernandez, M.V. Alvarez, S. Bird, D.W. Jones, and M.E. Fagan, Toucans descend to the forest floor to consume the eggs of ground-nesting birds. Food Webs 10 (March 2017): 2-4.
- Williamson, Jessie L., and M.E. Fagan. (2017) Predator playback, foraging height, and phylogeny affect gap crossing behavior in tropical forest birds. Ornitología Neotropical 28: 163-174, Jul. ISSN 1075-4377.
- Reid, J.L, S.J. Wilson, G.S. Bloomfield, M.E. Cattau, M.E. Fagan, K.D. Holl, and R.A. Zahawi. (2017). How Long Do Restored Ecosystems Persist? Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 102(2).
- Fagan, M. E., R. S. Defries, S. E. Sesnie, J. P. Arroyo, and R. L. Chazdon. 2016. Targeted reforestation could reverse declines in connectivity for understory birds in a tropical habitat corridor. Ecol. Appl. 26: 1456–1474.
- Cisneros L.M., Fagan M.E., Willig M.R. (2016) Environmental and spatial drivers of taxonomic, functional, and phylogenetic characteristics of bat communities in human-modified landscapes. PeerJ 4:e2551 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.2551
- Nowakowski, A.J., DeWoody, J.A., Fagan, M.E., Willoughby, J.R. and Donnelly, M.A. (2015), Mechanistic insights into landscape genetic structure of two tropical amphibians using field-derived resistance surfaces. Molecular Ecology, 24: 580–595. doi: 10.1111/mec.13052
- Cisneros, L.M., Fagan, M.E., Willig, M.R. (2015), Season-specific and guild-specific effects of anthropogenic landscape modification on metacommunity structure of tropical bats. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84: 373–385. doi: 10.1111/1365-2656.12299
- Shaver, I., A. Chain-Guadarrama, K. Cleary, A. Sanfiorenzo, R.J. Santiago-García, B. Finegan, L. Hormel, N. Sibelet, L.A. Vierling, N. Bosque-Pérez, F. DeClerck, M.E. Fagan, and L. Waits, (2015). Coupled social, economic and ecological outcomes of agricultural intensification in Costa Rica and the future of biodiversity conservation in tropical agricultural regions. Global Environmental Change, 32: 74-86.
- Fagan, M.E., R.S. DeFries, S.E. Sesnie, J.P. Arroyo, C. Soto, A. Singh, P. Townsend, and R.L. Chazdon (2015). Mapping Species Composition of Forests and Tree Plantations in Northeastern Costa Rica with an Integration of Hyperspectral and Multitemporal Landsat Imagery. Remote Sensing 7(5), 5660-5696.
- Meyfroidt, P., K.M. Carlson, M.E. Fagan, V.H. Gutiérrez-Vélez, M.M. Macedo, L.M. Curran, R.S. DeFries, G.A. Dyer, H.K. Gibbs, E.F. Lambin, D.C. Morton, V. Robiglio. 2014. Multiple pathways of expansion of commodity crops in tropical forest landscapes. Environmental Research Letters 9(7): 074012.
- Cisneros, L.M.., Fagan, M.E., Willig, M.R. (2014), Effects of human-modified landscapes on taxonomic, functional and phylogenetic dimensions of bat biodiversity. Diversity and Distributions. doi: 10.1111/ddi.12277
- Fagan, M.E., R.S. DeFries, S.E. Sesnie, J.P. Arroyo, W. Walker, C. Soto, R.L. Chazdon, and A. Sanchun. 2013. Land cover dynamics following a deforestation ban in northern Costa Rica. Environmental Research Letters 8(3): 034017.
- Yackulic, C.B.*, M. Fagan*, M. Jain*, A. Jina, Y. Lim, M. Marlier, R. Muscarella, P. Adame, R. DeFries, and M. Uriarte. 2011. Biophysical and socioeconomic factors associated with forest transitions at multiple spatial and temporal scales. Ecology and Society 16(3): 15. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-04275-160315 *Shared first authorship
- Fagan, M. E., and D. R. Peart. 2004. Impact of the invasive shrub glossy buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula L.) on juvenile recruitment by canopy trees. Forest Ecology and Management 194: 95-107.